Vacation Employment provides students undertaking full-time undergraduate degrees at an Australian university with an opportunity to gain valuable knowledge and paid workplace experiences.
Carpentaria actively encourages university students to apply for vacation employment placements to be undertaken during semester breaks.
Vacation Employment opportunities are subject to the availability of resources for supervision, and the workloads of the relevant area. Requests will be considered on this basis and only approved where they can be accommodated appropriately.
Applications are accepted from:
- March – May (for employment during the mid-year semester break); and
- September – October (for employment during the end of year semester break)
Applications are invited from students across a range of areas within Carpentaria, including:
Expressions of interest are open year-round. Express your interest here, and we’ll contact you when applications re-open.
Actual dates of employment may vary based on Carpentaria’s resources and workload in the relevant area, and the applicant’s circumstances.
You will receive
- Short-term paid employment starting at the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award Level 1.1 pay rate
- Personal and professional development
- Practical experience relevant to your field of study
- An opportunity to develop professional networks
- Exposure to Carpentaria’s diverse workforce
- Support from our Employment and Training Coordinator, and your direct team
- A rewarding and challenging experience that will support your future career
- Where opportunities exist, approved applicants will be offered paid employment on a fixed-term basis throughout the semester breaks
To be eligible for a vacation employment placement, you must:
- be in the process of completing an undergraduate degree from an Australian university;
- be enrolled full-time in tertiary studies either side of the semester break;
- be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or have eligibility to work in Australia for the period;
- be available for the entire semester break; and
- have completed the application process in full
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders and people with disabilities.
Carpentaria may require vacation employment students to possess certain clearances, such as a:
- Working with Children Clearance
- Police Check
- NDIS Worker Screening Check
For further information please contact the People and Learning team on 8920 9400 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What we look for
We are seeking university students with a diverse range of skills, knowledge and personal qualities, including:
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to influence and negotiate
- Research and analytical skills
- Confidentiality and discretion
- Good interpersonal skills, empathy and cultural awareness
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Resilience, initiative, ownership and accountability
How to apply
To be considered for a vacation employment placement, applicants must apply during the intake periods by submitting the following via email at email@example.com:
- Completed Vacation Employment Application Form
- Copies of any worker clearances listed in the above Vacation Employment Application Form that you hold
- A current resume and cover letter
- Contact details for 2 recent referees
- An academic transcript
Applications for a vacation employment placement will be reviewed by the People and Learning team and the relevant areas where opportunities exist. Applicants will be advised of the status of their application at least 2 weeks prior to potential vacation employment commencement dates.